You already know that Brussels sprouts are delicious, but do you know how good they are for you?
Brussels sprouts contain excellent levels of vitamin C and vitamin K, with more moderate amounts of B vitamins, such as folic acid and vitamin B6; essential minerals and dietary fiber exist in lesser amounts.They also contain sulforaphane, a phytochemical under basic research for its potential anticancer properties. Although boiling reduces the level of sulforaphane, steaming and stir frying do not result in significant loss.
The leafy green vegetables look like miniature cabbages. The Brussels sprout has long been popular in Brussels, Belgium, and may have originated and gained its name there.
The most common method of preparing Brussels sprouts for cooking begins with cutting the buds off the stalk. Any surplus stem is cut away, and any loose surface leaves are peeled and discarded. Once cut and cleaned, the buds are typically cooked by boiling, steaming, stir frying, grilling, or roasting. To ensure even cooking throughout, buds of a similar size are usually chosen. Some cooks will make a single cut or a cross in the center of the stem to aid the penetration of heat. Brussels sprouts can be pickled as an alternative to cooking.
This recipe was contributed by Maya Nahra!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Bacon with Easy Balsamic Reduction
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts halved
- 4 strips bacon cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1/2 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the Brussels sprouts and diced bacon on the baking sheet, spread around with coconut oil, in a single layer.
- Place them on the middle rack of the oven. Roast the dish for 30-35 minutes, or until the Brussels are cooked through and crispy.
- Meanwhile, add the balsamic vinegar to a pot over high heat on the stove.
- Boil the vinegar until it reduces to about 2-3 Tablespoons. You'll know its done when it turns into a syrupy consistency and easily coats the back of a spoon. Be careful, this mixture can burn fast and you won't be able to use it so watch it closely as it cooks.