In this dish, the “fettuccine” is actually made from carrots shredded into ribbons with a vegetable peeler. I think you’ll be surprised at how much it tastes like the real thing. The sauce clings to the ribbons, giving each bite a delectable, earthy flavor.
This recipe was contributed by Amie Valpone, Founder of The Healthy Apple. Be sure to check out her brand new cookbook, Eating Clean: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation and Reset Your Body.
Coastal Carrot “Fettuccine” with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Pumpkin Seeds from Amie Valpone
- 2 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Clove garlic Minced
- 1/2 Cup Grape tomatoes Quartered
- 2.5 Tbsp Fresh basil Finely chopped
- 3 Large Rainbow or orange carrots Peeled
- 1 Cup Sun-dried tomato sauce Or regular tomato sauce
- 1/4 Tsp Sweet paprika
- 1/4 Tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Pumkin seeds Toasted for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and saute until soft and fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and 2 tablespoons of the basil and saute until the tomatoes burst and release their juices, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the carrots into ribbons, using either a spiral slicer (aka spiralizer) or a vegetable peeler (this is easiest when you hold the carrot down on a flat surface).
- Add the carrots, Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce, paprika, salt, and pepper to the pan, and cook until the carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining ½ tablespoon basil and the pumpkin seeds before serving.
Thank you so much for sharing about my book, Emily! xo